I am a city dwelling Eskimo. A walking ice block. I love living in Melbourne but my body constantly craves warmth & sunshine. Leaving to go to work in the dark & coming home in the dark is downright depressing. This depression also makes me want to reach for a naughty chocolate or muffin-because I don’t need to be bikini ready for a few months right? But then what’s more depressing than the cold & dark?…That extra roll of fat added to your tum, that’s what!
Then as if you aren’t depressed enough, everyone around you is being a grump.
How to survive?
-If the suns shining get some vitamin D
-Experiment with some new teas (I am loving organic vanilla rooibos this week)
-Swap your cafe muffin for a homemade mighty muffin bursting with healthy ingredients (see my banana bread recipe here).
-Exercise by doing a brisk walk & chucking on a puffy jacket & a beanie so you really work up a sweat. Head to a gym class, hot yoga or book in a few PT sessions so you won’t pike.
-Incidental exercise is a great way to warm up. Do some calf flexors, butt clenches & Ab tensors whilst sitting at your desk or some squats waiting for dinner to cook.
-Decorate your work desk- a few photos to make you smile & remind you of that trip or dream house you’re saving for.
-Give the alcohol a miss, if you’re eating heavier foods don’t bother with the alcohol, it will just weaken your immune system.
-Speaking of immune systems grab a vegie juice loaded with vitamin c, antioxidants, ginger and parsley & pack a punch.
-Keep some tea tree oil or natural hand sanitizer around to protect you from all the nasty germs floating around the work place & public places.
And now some cheeky recipes to help fend off the winter blues…
Beetroot, Coconut & Carob Cookies
(makes 10 small cookies)
-3/4C almond meal
-1 heaped tbs coconut flour
-1/8 tsp salt (pink preferably)
-1/8 tsp baking powder
-3 tbs melted coconut oil
-1 tbs maple syrup
-20ml fresh beetroot juice
-1 heaped tbs coconut flakes
-2 heaped tbs carob chips/pieces
-1 tbs dried goji berries
1. Pre-heat fan enforced oven to 170 degrees celcius
2. Mix all ingredients except for beet juice & melted coconut oil in a bowl
3. Slowly mix in beet juice & coconut oil (if mixture is not dough like add a tsp extra of coconut flour).
4. Roll 1 tbs of mixture into a ball and press down slightly, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat for remaining ingredients.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown (monitor closely as they go from brown to burn in a matter of minutes!).
6. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before devouring as they will harden up as they cool.
(serves 1 person – 2 medium pancakes)
-1/3 C ground oats
-1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
-1 scoop of preferred protein powder
-1 small mashed banana
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Beat egg in a bowl using a fork. Mix in your mashed banana.
2. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
3. If not thick enough add extra protein powder (this depends on your eggs – I use XX-Large organic eggs so always need a bit extra.
4. Heat coconut oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook until little bubbles being to appear. Then flip until lightly brown. Repeat.
5. Serve topped with fresh fruit and organic maple syrup (the stuff from the supermarket isn’t even maple syrup just sugar syrup and maple flavours so throw it in the trash asap!)