We are constantly flooded with so much noise and so many nasties that it can be hard to think straight. This can create a very toxic and stressful environment in which it is difficult to thrive and reach our full potential. I have been feeling really confused lately and just want to know the ultimate solution to making it all go away– but is there one?
The biggest source of stress and toxicity in my life at the moment is confusion…I am constantly being told to do something good that never actually works out I.e. ride your bike to work – then it thunderstorms, eat a high fat diet vs eat a high sugar diet, do bikram yoga but then get told it might stress out my adrenals…seriously!!!!?
I am beginning to understand that there is no ‘right answer’ but there are a number of things I believe in doing no matter what I am told:
- Eat a high plant based diet with as much fresh, organic and unprocessed food as possible.
- Do exercise that suits you (I used to think that it wasn’t ‘exercise’ unless I was close to death from exhaustion and lack of oxygen – now I go for walks, light runs and do Bikram Yoga instead of thinking I’m the next Arnie or Bolt).
- Don’t listen to others opinions unless it’s the opinions of those you value (to me this means “I will not let others judge me for how much fruit or ‘sugar’ I eat, what I wear or the fact that I prefer being home with a cuppa and ugg boots than drunk in a club”).
- Pick your battles – most of them aren’t worth your time, energy or stress.
- Listen to your body. When you are tired – rest. When you are energetic – use your energy doing what your heart tells you. If you feel sick – do not ignore it. This last one is my latest conquered battle. I used to feel so sick when I ate certain foods, tired, sluggish, grumpy and now I finally realise how this was NOT normal and have made changes that make me feel amazing.
- Chase your dreams. Create the career and life you want to be living. Just because there is no University Degree for what you want to do doesn’t mean you can’t create it.
- When life gives you lemons make lemonade (or a really nice alkalising lemon water to make you glow). I think I woke up last week 3 days in a row wanting to cry…I am detoxing and even though I don’t have to change my diet (except for giving up bananas – trust me this was one of the reasons for the near tears) I was feeling so low, moody and tired. But I dragged my butt out of work, made myself a great big smoothie and dragged by butt to work. If I stayed in bed how could my day have gotten any better??? (And an hour later I found out I won a copy of Katrina Ellis’ ‘Raw Addiction’ Cookbook!) You are the driver or your own destiny!
- I like even numbers so number 8 would have to be, don’t be afraid to have your heart broken. Love completely. Whether it be a person, friend, lifestyle or dream, don’t hold back.
My Super Cute Quinoa Stuffed Soul Food
– 4 Baby Squash – seeds and insides hollowed out. Leave skins on.
(Can use capsicum, or a larger pumpkin cut in sections)
– 2 tbs melted coconut oil (organic, cold-pressed, extra-virgin)
– 1 tbs balsamic vinegar (or a tsp maple syrup)
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Rub the baby squash with a mixture of balsamic and coconut oil.
Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before stuffing with greens and quinoa.
– 6 leaves of organic kale shredded (stems removed)
– ½ C finely shredded purple cabbage
– ½ cup broccoli florets
– 4 tbs pepitas
– ¼ C roughly chopped walnuts
– 1 cup cooked quinoa
– 2 tbs coconut oil
Optional: Goats Cheese/Feta
In a pan on medium heat melt coconut oil, sauté kale, cabbage, broccoli, pepitas and walnuts for approximately 2 minutes (stir every 20 seconds). Remove from heat. Stir through quinoa, pepitas and walnuts (and cheese if using).
Enjoy! Eat the skin too to lower the GI.